£97,319,821 invested in 835 projects in 157 countries since 1992
Darwin Expert Committee
The Darwin Expert Committee
The Darwin Expert Committee is a scientific expert committee managed by Defra to support the Darwin Inititive.
The Darwin Expert Committee - Terms of Reference
The DEC helps to ensure the quality and appropriateness of Defra science and its use by providing strategic advice on the principles and objectives of the Darwin Initiative grant programme in implementing the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Convention on Migratory Species and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. The Lead Minister for Defra is Richard Benyon, the Parliamentary Under-secretary for Natural Environment and Fisheries.
To achieve this it will:
- provide independent advice to the Secretary of State via Defra officials on applications for funding under the Initiative, taking into account the objectives of the Initiative and any other considerations the Secretary of State may from time to time deem relevant.
- monitor the progress of the Darwin Initiative and evaluate the achievement of its objectives.
- report to the Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA); Chairs of expert committees will meet annually with the CSA and provide an annual summary of the work of the committee to the Science Advisory Council (SAC) for Defra's Annual Report.
- support the CSA as appropriate (and if willing) during emergencies.
- abide by the spirit of the Government Office for Science's Code of Practice for Scientific Advisory Committees.
- In the course of its work the Committee may publish reports and advice. Publication will normally be through Defra channels. The Committee will also be expected to contribute to departmental reports, publications or guidance.
Darwin Expert Committee Members, appointed by Defra, will be independent appointments made through open competition, in line with OCPA guidelines on best practice for making public appointments.
|Term of appointment|
|Professor Stephen Blackmore (Chair)||2013 - 2016|
|Mr Martin Brasher||2012 - 2015|
|Dr Mark Collins||2012 - 2015|
|Ms Joanna Elliott||2012 - 2015|
|Mr Alistair Gammell||2012 - 2015|
|Professor Mary Gibby||2012 - 2015|
|Professor Brendan Godley||2012 - 2015|
|Professor Iain Gordon||2012-2015|
|Dr Bara Gueye||2011 - 2014|
|Dr Keith Hamer||2012 - 2015|
|Mr Matthew Hatchwell||2012-2015|
|Dr Martin Kaonga||2012 - 2015|
|Dr Gary Martin||2012-2015|
|Professor EJ Milner-Gulland||2012-2015|
|Dr Shaun Russell||2012 - 2015|
|Professor Monique Simmonds||2012 - 2015|
|Dr Rachel Wynberg||2011 - 2014|
|Dr Vin Fleming (JNCC)||from 2003|
|Ken de Souza||from 2011|
|Jeremy Eppel (Defra)||from 2012|
|Siôn Griffiths (FCO)||from 2012|
Defra provides the Secretariat to the Committee. Presently the team has two members - Clare Hamilton, Huw Joynson and Sally Cunningham
Page last modified: Thursday, 31 October 2013