£97,319,821 invested in 835 projects in 157 countries since 1992
The Darwin Initiative
Ecosystem conservation for climate change adaptation in East Africa
Click on the following markers on the map for more information:
- - project locations
- - major cities
Projects: to add a draggable marker you can use to calculate coordinates. Use the project tools at the bottom of the page to send the coordinates and description to the webmaster.
- Main Project
- Project leader:
- Melanie Heath
- Host institutions:
- Nature Kenya, Nature Uganda, Association Burundaise pour la protection des oiseaux, Association de la Conservation de Nature Rwanda
- Start date:
- UK institutions:
- Birdlife International
- Finish date:
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda
Note: the descriptions presented for projects approved before 2008 have been extracted from technical descriptions in project documents and were not originally intended for publication.
The roles and needs of ecosystems are integrated in national policies and plans for climate-change adaptation in four countries in the Eastern Afromontane Biodiversity Hotspot.
1. Awareness of EbA raised and implementation capacity built within government and civil society.
2. National partnerships built for effective implementation of EbA.
3. Improved information and quantitative evidence of the benefits to be derived from ecosystem-based approaches to adaptation in four countries.
4. Experience and best practice examples and guidance on the successful application of ecosystem-based approaches to climate change adaptation widely disseminated and contributing to regional and international climate change processes, specifically the CBD and UNFCCC.
Note: Defra is not responsible for the contents of documents produced by projects and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them.
Related Darwin projects
Page last modified: Wednesday, 20 November 2013